Bartholomew County Retired Teachers Association General Meeting
Four Seasons Retirement Center May 9, 2023
www.barta2.org or m.facebook.com/bartholomewretiredteachers/
- Registration and Greet Friends-11:15-11:30 AM
- Janice Montgomery welcomed everyone and recognized new attendees.
- A welcome was extended from the church by Pastor Paul Dazet who also thanked the kitchen crew from the church.
- The Pledge was led by Dr. Bill Riley followed by a prayer by Mary Ann Robbins.
- Lunch was served.
- Donna Nicholson reported on the Pennies from Heaven collection. Love Chapel was the recipient of $178.09 collected at our last general meeting on November 15,2022.The funds received at this meeting were to be given to Advocates for Children. Our goal is $150.
- Our speaker Ed Reuter was introduced by Vice President LuAnn Davis. The program was titled “A Scar on Every Road” and included stories from his experiences as an Indiana State Policeman.
- Paula Dyer was not able to attend as she had hoped but Janice conveyed her concern about the 13th check and whether it would continue to happen. Members were referred the the IRTA website where Laura Penman has more information.
- The Business Meeting began with a report of cards sent and deaths of former members as follows:
Deceased teachers were Audrey Williams, Alice Jean Owens, Carol Nelson, David East, and Tessa Musillami.
- Bill Riley made a motion that the minutes from the last general meeting be approved. The motion was seconded by Joe Nicholson and the motion carried.
- Janet Smith, treasurer, reported the current balance in our treasury was $4,428.59 and that the membership total was 247 members. Thanks was given to Janet for increasing our membership. Donations for Teacher Grants totaled $2510 as of Feb.28,2023. BARTA grants totaled $3,199.65 in partnership with county school and matching funds from BCSF and Donors Choose on Giving Tuesday. The treasurer’s report was accepted.
- Dr. Quick gave a legislative update report and thanked Dale Nowlin, new BCSC School board Member for attending this meeting.
- Chuck Nestle, our guest from AMBA, gave an overview of benefits available to members.
- Door Prizes were distributed by LuAnn.
- The next meeting will be May 9,2023 at Four Seasons. Notice must be given by one week prior to meeting for cancellation or cost of lunch will need to be paid.
- The meeting was adjourned.
BARTHOLOMEW COUNTY RETIRED TEACHERS’ ASSOCIATION GENERAL MEETING
SANDY HOOK UNITED METHODIST CHURCH ON November 15,2022
Bartholomew County Retired Teachers’ Association General Meeting
Sandy Hook United Methodist Church on September 13,2022
The Bartholomew County Retired Teachers’ Association General Meeting on September 13,2022 opened with registration and collection of clothing to be donated to the school nurses. President Janice Montgomery welcomed everyone and introduced special guests Jane Boltinghouse from IRTA and Mary Mullins the Area 7 Representative. The Pastor of Sandy Hook U. Methodist welcomed us and invited us to attend the church.
Mary Ann Robbins led an opening prayer after which lunch was served.
The meeting was called to order by Janice who encouraged everyone to vote and announced that the Pennies from Heaven collection was to be used to support Family School Partners. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Dr. Bill Riley.
LuAnn Davis introduced the speaker Larry Perkinson who read passages from his books Daffodils and Dog Ears and Nudging me Gently.
Mary Ann Robbins moved to approve the minutes from the May 20 meeting as corrected. Bill Riley seconded the motion which carried.
It was announced that Columbus East High School was celebrating its 50th anniversary.
June Hagan sent sympathy cards to the friends and families of Don Herron and Andy Waldrop. She read the following list of area educators who had passed away:
Beverly Mead Andy Waldrop Alyssa Dempsey
Marcia Dickherber Bob Harden Barbara Piper
Shirley Richards Margaret Kelly Dismore Ronald Hoffman
New members were asked to stand and were welcomed with applause.
When BARTA grants are completed, they will be posted on the website (wwwbarta2.org) and the Face Book page.
Gratitude was expressed to the kitchen crew from the church for lunch.
An online forum for the upcoming election of School Board Members for BCSC will be sponsored on September 27 & 29th. Lynne Fleming announced the link for the forum would be in the BARTA newsletter and on Face Book. The forum will be virtual only. Candidate Dale Nowlin was present and was recognized.
Members were asked to notify Joyce Heckman if they have changes to their email addresses.
It was announced that on September 23, that Dr. Roberts, BCSC Superintendent, will give a talk about desired traits of School Board Candidates and safety problems facing public school. The talk will be given at Fairlawn Presbyterian Church.
Door prizes were given by LuAnn. The meeting was adjourned.
Deborah Eikenbary, Secretary